Art Blooms on the Space Coast at the Melbourne Art Festival!
What better way to enjoy the beautiful weather spring brings than to get outdoors and take in a plein-air art show. On the last weekend in April, historic Downtown Melbourne comes alive with brush strokes, easels and plenty of creativity at the 2015 Melbourne Art Festival (MAF).
A nationally recognized event, the festival was organized to promote and encourage artistic endeavors, education and appreciation. Over the years, MAF has grown into one of the most anticipated art shows in the region, attracting hundreds of talented artists and thousands of art lovers to the Space Coast.
Thinking about attending? Here’s 10 Things You Should Know About the Melbourne Art Festival!
• This year marks the 31st year of presenting the festival.
• Festival admission is FREE
• MAF is presented by an all-volunteer group, no paid staff.
• The art festival kicks off every year with the Flamingo 5K Run/Walk on Saturday, April 25th at 7:30am. Registration is open up to the day of the race. After-party for runners with free beer, water, fruits, and breads and a live DJ.
• Each year, the Festival’s commemorative poster (see image right) is designed by one of their participating artists. This year’s poster artist is Kirk Dodd. You can buy this artwork on posters and t-shirts at the Festival.
• MAF has given $107,700 to youth art education causes, including scholarships to Brevard County students to attend art classes outside of school, since 2000.
• The Festival is interactive! Free Art Workshops for children ages 6-13, led by participating artists, are available. The workshops are first come, first serve. Registration will be open day of the festival. See the full schedule here: www.melbournearts.org/workshops.asp
• Live entertainment on the Main Stage starting at 1:00 pm, highlights include: Beverly McClellan, a finalist on the premier season of The Voice, will perform at 7 pm Saturday, followed by GT Express at 8:45 pm.
•Besides free art workshops, the Festival also hosts KidsWorld, a venue where children ages 3-12 can create their own arts and craft project and watch entertaining and educational acts on the KidsWorld stage. Open Saturday and Sunday 10am – 5pm.
• Become a patron who agrees to buy $225 of art on the weekend, and you’ll receive an invitation to the exclusive Patron Party, a champagne viewing of the artwork selected for judging, designated parking at the east end of the Festival, and a covered tent facing the Main Stage with complimentary beer, wine and soft drinks.
The Melbourne Art Festival will be held April 25-26 in Historic Downtown Melbourne. Festival hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday, with entertainment running until about 10 p.m. on Saturday night.