NEW YEAR, NEW ADVENTURES ON FLORIDA’S SPACE COAST
— Space Coast blasts into 2014 with all-new attractions, thrilling adventures, rockin’ country concerts, special events and up-close wildlife encounters —
This year, Florida’s Space Coast is ready to fill the entire 2014 calendar with all-new adventures the whole family can enjoy. Whether it’s a weekend get-a-away in a cozy beachside bed & breakfast, soaking up some rays along 72 miles of pristine beaches or a wild excursion packed with kayaking, zip lining and a face-to-face encounter with a dinosaur, the Space Coast has amped up its offerings for vacationing families and day-trippers.
What’s New in 2014?
- Port Canaveral – Those looking to cruise to exotic places this year will delight in two cruise ships – Carnival Liberty and Carnival Sunshine – scheduled to sail year-round from their new home at Port Canaveral. Visitors can now discover the all-new Exploration Tower with interactive experiences and adventures for all ages. A popular embarkation location for Carnival, Disney, and Royal Caribbean cruise lines, Port Canaveral also serves as a favorite port of call with an average of about 150 calls each year.
- Treetop Trek at the Brevard Zoo – Now at the Brevard Zoo’s Treetop Trek – an exciting outdoor adventure filled with zip lines, thrill seekers can experience the all-new Black Diamond section. It promises even bigger challenges including a vertical climb, ultimate monkey bars, and a vertical zip line descent.
- Museum of Dinosaurs and Ancient Cultures – Coming soon, Cocoa Beach will become home to the Museum of Dinosaurs and Ancient Cultures where kids and families can explore dinosaurs around every corner.
Must Do Festivals Return
- 17th Annual Space Coast Birding & Wildlife Festival – Wildlife gurus will flock to this festival that allows bird lovers to get closer than ever to intriguing birds of prey January 22 through 27 in Titusville.
- Cocoa Village Mardi Gras – On February 22, Historic Cocoa Village transforms into a true New Orleans-style Mardi Gras with a variety of Zydeco, Jazz and Blues bands on three stages, a parade of floats where spectators can catch hundreds of beads from more than 30 floats, roving entertainment and much more.
- Port Canaveral Seafood Festival – February 28 through March 1 visitors will dine on fresh seafood prepared by Space Coast’s very own local chefs. Families can enjoy activities, fishing exhibits, tours and entertainment.
- Ron Jon Beach n’ Boards Fest – Surfers and beach lovers are celebrated March 12 through 16 at Cocoa Beach during competitions, exhibitions, board sports, music, volleyball, entertainment and Florida’s biggest and richest pro surfing contest.
- Runaway Country Music Fest – Turn up the music this March 21 through 22 at Wickham Park in Melbourne for the hottest country music event in Florida. See top acts including Keith Urban, Toby Keith, The Band Perry, Joe Nichols, Rodney Atkins, Chris Cagle, Charlie Daniels Band and Colt Ford.
- Brevard Wildlife Corridor Expedition – April 3 through 13 nature fans can go on an adventurous excursion as this festival travels across the county offering more than 80 events and activities which include hiking, cycling (off-road fat tire treks), kayaking, horseback riding, standup paddling, overnight and multiple-day excursions (on land and on the water), wildlife excursions, expert-led learning tours, photography and conservation events.
Step Off The Beaten Path
- 3rd Annual Florida Key Lime Pie Festival – Savor in the rich and delightful flavors of the Key Lime Pie Festival at Kiwanis Island Park in Merritt Island from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on January 18.
- Sunshine State Eggfest – This March 14 and 15 at the Crowne Plaza Resort in Melbourne, feel the heat as countless Big Green Egg grills blaze with rich BBQ recipes and dishes from local chefs that guests can sink their teeth into.
- Brevard Zoo’s 20th Birthday Celebration – Help Brevard Zoo celebrate its 20th Birthday Party with the opening of Meerkat Hamlet on March 15 and the return of butterflies with Butterfly Wings and Enchanted Things starting on May 24.
- Food Truck Wars – Find a new favorite cuisine during Palm Bay’s Food Truck Wars and competition this May.
- 5th Annual Thunder On The Beach – Don’t miss the only official national and international sanctioning body for offshore powerboat racing in the world at Cocoa Beach on May 16 through 18.
Where to stay?
- Overnight visitors staying in Cocoa Beach can check-in to two recently renovated hotels including the Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront and DoubleTree by Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront. Both are equipped with prime beach access for fun in the sun.
- Now open is SeaGlass Inn Bed & Breakfast in Melbourne Beach. A pristine location nestled beachside for vacationers looking for a little rest and relaxation.
- The Ron Jon Cape Caribe and Resort near Port Canaveral is equipped with full kitchens and facilities making longer stays on Florida’s Space Coast easy and enjoyable.
To discover and learn more about all of Florida’s Space Coast’s events, experiences, dining options and hotels, visit www.visitspacecoast.com.
About Florida’s Space Coast
Located 35 miles (56 km) east of Orlando, Florida’s Space Coast is home to Orlando’s closest beaches. Encompassing Cocoa Beach, Melbourne Beach, Palm Bay and Titusville, this family-friendly destination offers more than 10,000 guest rooms, and is an ideal, value getaway. With 72 miles (110 km) of beaches, the longest stretch in the state, and 250 square miles of wildlife refuge, the Space Coast is one of the largest intact eco-systems in Florida. It is home to one of the nation’s busiest cruise ports; is the nation’s East Coast surfing capital and the location of NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, where all 135 shuttle missions launched and unmanned rockets continue to launch. The Space Coast is home to the retired Atlantis shuttle and is one of only four destinations nationwide where visitors will be able to view an orbiter. For more information, contact the Space Coast Office of Tourism at (877) 572-3224 or visit www.visitspacecoast.com. Visit www.spacecoastlaunches.com to learn about upcoming rocket launches. Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Florida-Space-Coast. Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/flaspacecoast .