There’s a blessed four day weekend staring at us bigger than the 18lb turkey ready to be thrown in the smoker. So why not go out and enjoy it rather than sitting at home glued to a 52 inch plasma TV. Plus if you really want to see the game you can DVr it for later.
So here’s my list of FREE fun events on Florida’s Space Coast. Unfortunately, if you’re not in driving distance this list will be totally worthless to you, but those who’ve lucked out and scored another beautiful holiday on our shores, this lists is for you:
1. Watch the Landing of the Space Shuttle Atlantis planned for Friday, November 27 @ 9:44 EST at Kennedy Space Center.
2. Join the City of Cocoa as they officially light their Christmas tree in Riverfront Park, followed by the ever popular boat parade. Afterwards visit with Santa Claus, skate in their outdoor ice skating rink, or watch a holiday movie classic on their outdoor jumbo screen. The 7th Annual Christmas Tree Lighting and Space Coast Boat Parade will be held on Friday, November 27 from 5:00pm-9:30pm.
3. Check your health at Health First Health Plans Health & Fitness Expo which will feature more than 20 exhibitors featuring the newest designs in running gear and shoes, as well as the latest developments in sports, fitness and nutrition. Saturday, November 28 at the Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts.
4. Pick up fresh fruit while listening to live music at Eau Gallie Farmer’s Market. The market will feature organic honey, fresh fruit and veggies, flowers, baked goods and arts and crafts. 8 am – 2 pm at Eau Gallie Square Park in Melbourne Saturday November 28.
5. Discover the next Picasso at the 46th Annual Space Coast Art Festival at 36 N. Brevard Ave. in Cocoa Beach. This juried show of fine arts and fine crafts will also feature food, live performances, and a 5K Run. November 28-29.
6. Enjoy an evening of some pickin’ and a grinnin’ with some good bluegrass music at Night Sounds at Sebastian Inlet Concert Series with Atlantic Bluegrass from 7 to 9 PM. The concert will be at the Sebastian Inlet State Park’s pavilions @ Coconut Point, located on the south side over looking the water.
7. Start your holiday shopping early at the Christmas Market in Cocoa Village while enjoying live entertainment, goodies, and special discounts offered by Village merchants. Shops will be open later for your convenience. Sunday, November 29 from 11am-8pm. And If you spend $50 or more with the Cocoa Village merchan
8. Enjoy an late afternoon of smooth jazz at the Twilight Jazz in the Panthereum free concert series on Florida Tech’s Campus in Melbourne. WFIT 89.5 FM hosts this monthly musical concert which will feature the Lorri Hafer Jazz Quartet. Sunday, November 29 from 3pm – 6pm.
9. Join Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge again for an easy 1 mile loop on the Scrub Ridge Trail Hike. Learn about plants and animals that survive in this endangered and unique habitat containing more than 400,000 acres of protected lands. The tour will be on Sunday, November 29 at 10 am. Call 321-861-5601 to make reservations.
I hope my recommendations make your belt lighter and your pockets heavier! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!:)